Being a Non-Drinker in Social Settings and Dry Drinks for MDW
I love drinking. Just not drinking alcohol. Most days, I down two liters of water and feel better for it. There's no time like tea time, especially when it's chai, and matcha is my new thing lately. In Seoul, I'll order a grapefruit ade or magnolia berry tea, but craft sodas in interesting flavors and cold-pressed juices are probably my favorites to sip on.
Whenever I tell a person I don't drink, s/he will respond with a look of judgment, confusion, pity, shock, horror, or a combination of the five, and "Why?" (When it's about coffee, though, I'll get a look of admiration and awe and some form of praise.) Once, I was asked if it's because I can't, as in if I can't because I've sobered. My response is always the same. One: actually, I can't. My body experiences only the physical effects of alcohol, and not even the fun ones. One sip causes 체, or essentially an instant hangover. My friends joke that I get drunk off a whiff. And two: I don't like to. Even if I could drink, I wouldn't. Give me a ginger shot over a shot shot any day. Faux-jitos taste awesome. Mocktail even sounds better than cocktail.
I know there are others out there. I've met two of them. And I had come up with the perfect business plan for us—the 'Dry Bar'—but. (Womp.) So, in lieu of that plan, I decided to share the best of the dry drinks, perfect for this Memorial Day Weekend, through this post!
jen's dry drinks
- Maine Root Ginger Brew or the best ginger beer. Toss in a couple mint leaves.
- DRY Sparkling Lavender is as lovely as it sounds. There's also Juniper and Cucumber, which I'm wanting to try, Rhubarb, Fuji Apple, and Blood Orange.
- Sidral Mundet apple-flavored soda. Especially tasty with chips and guac or any other dip.
- Colombiana and Postobon Manzana. Think of these as elevated Shirley Temples. Not that Shirley Temples needed elevating.
- Jarritos. My favorite flavors are Mango and Pineapple.
- Mexican Coke is sweetened with cane sugar and even better than the regular stuff.
- Belvoir Elderflower Lemonade, Elderflower and Rose Lemonade, or Sparkling Elderflower.
- Fentimans Rose Lemonade wins prettiest drink.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on or purchasing via these links may result in commissions for this site.